2021 Annual of the Year – Supertunia Mini Vista® Pink Star
Meet the newest star in our annual lineup! Take a closer look at Supertunia Mini Vista® Pink Star petunia to find ideas for incorporating it into your garden and learn what it needs to thrive.
There’s no denying the popularity of Supertunia Vista® Bubblegum® petunia, and we know you are going to love her “little sister” – Supertunia Mini Vista® Pink Star. She has the amazing vigor of a Supertunia Vista® petunia but in a more petite package.
Where a more densely mounded petunia is a better fit, try this starry patterned, smaller flowered selection with delightfully striped pink and white blossoms which completely blanket the foliage. This petunia is ideal for massing along the front of a border and filling hanging baskets and patio pots with all-season color. Like all Supertunias, there’s no need to remove any of the spent flowers for continuous bloom from spring into fall.
Supertunia Mini Vista® Pink Star at a Glance:
• Fun stripy blossoms all season
• No need to remove the spent flowers for continuous bloom
• Easy to mix with other flowers in container recipes
• Perfect for containers and landscapes
• Strong growth without much fuss
• Thrives in warm, sunny weather but also blooms well into the cooler months of fall
Try These 3 Container Recipes
This petunia is an all-star in patio containers, hanging baskets and window boxes. It pairs well with other vigorous, sun loving annuals like Superbena, Scaevola and standard Supertunia varieties. Be sure to use a good quality potting soil when you plant
A Five Star Landscape Recipe
Prefer to grow your petunias in the landscape? Supertunia petunias will grow in the ground if the soil is well-drained and not too alkaline. If you have heavy, alkaline clay, grow them in containers instead. If your garden soil is sandy, mix some garden soil, compost or manure in the hole when you plant.
Included in this landscape for full sun to part sun, front to back:
- Whirlwind® White Scaevola
- Supertunia Mini Vista® Pink Star Petunia
- ColorBlaze® Rediculous® coleus
- Heart to Heart® ‘White Wonder’ Caladium
- Truffula™ Pink Gomphrena
- Persian Shield Strobilanthes
- Stratosphere™ White Gaura
Care Tips for Supertunia Mini Vista® Pink Star
LIGHT: Supertunia petunias will grow and bloom their best if planted in full sun, which means more than six hours of sun per day. They will also grow in part sun, which means 4-6 hours of direct sun with at least some of that being in the afternoon.
WATER: Supertunia petunias enjoy consistent irrigation—they do not like to dry out, but don’t like to be sopping wet for long either. Depending on your climate and whether you are growing them in containers or in the landscape, you may need to water them every day. Consider installing WaterWise® drip irrigation or using self-watering AquaPots® to keep your petunias consistently moist.
FEEDING: Petunias are hungry flowers. When you plant them in the ground or in containers, mix some continuous release plant food in the soil. If you live where the growing season is very long, add more continuous release plant food halfway through the year. In addition, you will get the most out of your Supertunias if you also feed them with water soluble plant food. We recommend feeding them every third time you water.
TRIMMING: Petunias like to get a “haircut” a couple of times per season. The act of trimming encourages a new flush of growth and flowers. Be careful not to trim too often though, because the plant needs its foliage to make food through the natural process of photosynthesis. Consider trimming as much as 1/3 of the length of the stems up in midsummer and again in early fall. Feed the plant with water soluble plant food after trimming to provide instant energy for new growth.
HEAT: Supertunias are heat tolerant plants that perform well in nearly all areas of North America from spring into fall. In extreme southern climates, they are often planted in fall and enjoyed through spring the following year.
How does the Annual of the Year program work?
With so many new plants being introduced each year, picking out the best for your garden can be a mindboggling experience. Gardeners want beautiful plants that will live up to their picture in the catalog, and retailers want to offer reliable plants with which their customers will experience success. With that aim in mind, we created the National Plant of the Year program which includes the Annual of the Year as well as six other categories. (Find them all here.)
The Making of a Champion
The National Plants of the Year are never chosen at random. To reach this highest designation, Proven Winners annuals, perennials and shrubs must meet a strict set of criteria including:
- Easy to Grow - Easy for both growers and gardeners to grow. It shouldn’t take an expert to grow beautiful flowers.
- Iconic - Easily recognizable at a glance, the National Plants of the Year have an iconic style unmatched by lookalikes.
- Readily Available - These plants are easy to find locally or online. We announce the National Plants of the Year well in advance so retailers can be sure to stock their benches with these popular plants.
- Perfect for Baskets and Containers - The Annual of the Year grows beautifully in hanging baskets as well as upright patio containers and window boxes.
- Outstanding Landscape Performance - Not just for containers, these plants also deliver a knockout performance when planted in landscapes.